Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Think the Best of Them!

Posted by Hannah at 7:00 AM

My last post I wrote about an article I had found online that did a book review for 'No Place For Abuse".

I received a comment, and additional issues started to pop into my head.  How regular advice turns into actual enabling of the abusive relationship.  Here is the excellent comment in question.
Hannah, a supportive friend sent me that article before I left my abusive relationship. At that time, I was thrilled that a Christian article endorsed separation, because my advice was that I could not or should not separate.

But reading another article on the site (gotquestions.org) about divorce for abuse concerned me. Although there isn't anywhere to respond or comment, there are contact details so you can write to them. That's what I did, and my concerns were exactly what you referred to. It is incredible how people dismiss the experience of the abused victim and deny her the right to judge or observe the abusers' changes. Her safety is also discounted, with the recommendation to reconcile taking priority as soon as things look "safe". There is no acknowledgment of the abusive cycle, or the manipulative tactics involved.

But the great thing is that I saw the recommendation for that book and being new to all of this, I was hungry. One thing led to another, and I slowly gained more information and insight to abusive behavior, and eventually separated.

Thanks for your post - if only more people challenged the type of thinking propagated by that article.
Thank you Anonymous!

If there is one thing I see over and over again on advice to victims is to 'think the best' of their abuser.

Concentrate on the good things.

Look at the positives.  

I think you get my drift here.

Victim Mindset

The victim mindset is normally geared to 'think about the positive' aspects of their abuser.  At times they go to great lengths to place themselves in a negative light JUST so their abuser is thought about in a better one.

They are willing throw themselves 'under the bus' as the saying goes for the benefit of the abuser.

People that claim they understand the power and control aspect of domestic violence within the church?  They tend to take the assets and debits at face value. They don't see this as part of the cycle, and yet again they show how little they truly do know.

What people tend to do when victims point out NOT so nice things about their partner?  They apply stereotypes towards them.  They are being to negative, and can't think of nice things to say.  They need to take their 'black and white' view of things off for a moment, and stop viewing things as they are cutting the spouse down, being negative, etc.

If everyone has to be so 'nicey nice' all the time is it any wonder why people don't go to the church before things get really bad?

People get so caught up with this 'preconceived' ideas that if someone states one thing in frustration or anger they are half the issue.  They aren't thinking enough of the good traits of the spouse.  Victims like most people will either 'own' the fact they are awful person for even showing that 'disrespect', or will get defensive because most people only hear and deal with one nasty portion they mentioned and nothing else.

It may seem easy to most to 'stick' to negative thinking about your spouse, because we hear church ranting and raving about that all the time.  Victims at times will actually do this as well, but if you look beyond the surface stuff?  The coping mechanism most of the time is doing just the opposite - think the best and make excuses for them.  They may at times voice their frustration, but most of the time their 'self talk' goes in the opposite direction.

Victims throw out surface stuff to see what the reaction will be. It like sticking your toe into the water to see how COLD it is!
They are a good parent, but when they drink they get nasty.

They are good spouse, but tend to be very jealous if someone even looks at me - or I at them.   

The reactions I see a lot:

Are you both Christians?  Have you spoke to your pastor?  Are you counseling?  What is your definition of 'drink to much'?  Is their infidelity in your past, and is that why they are jealous? Are they stressed at work?  What are doing to serve your partner so they don't go there in their thoughts?  You need to make sure you don't concentrate to much on the bad stuff, and remember they are good parent and spouse!  If you spend to much time in the negative aspects you will be come hard hearted, and you will make them react worse!
Ever notice how advice tends to border line encouragement of codependency?

Alot of the times victims have a hard time even getting to 'but' part of the sentence, and when they are brave enough to finally do that?  People around them already have this 'image' of the abusive person in their head, and they just can't fathom that the extreme negative aspects that victims tend to 'hint' at.
You said they were a good parent/spouse, so maybe you are taking this to far!

WAFFLING

Waffling is a term people use about victims going back and forth over being 'angry' at their circumstance, or feeling 'sorry' for the abuser.  We all need empathy, but victims tend to take it to far.  If they would just be 'nicer' or 'more understanding' the abuser won't abuse.
If I follow the recommendations of the police that filed a restraining order?  My partner will get more depressed.  They will get angry with me.  They may lose their job.  I just want someone to help me, and to help them!  If I would have just kept my mouth shut that night he/she wouldn't have been arrested, and I wouldn't be in this place.  I made things worse.  What happens with the children?  They are scared, but they love him/her also.  They may blame me.  Is it my fault?  Why does he/she do this?

What they miss is balance.  They are so confused that they are indecisive and can't make up their minds.

This may be a trait that some have had all their lifes in dealing with relationships, or the abuser fostered this to use to their advantage. Waffling is helpful the abuser, because it is a aspect they can use to get themselves off the hook regarding accountability.   Doubt is a aspect abusers use as a weapon, and have no problems turning it around to their advantage.

People may be incapable of decisions at the beginning, but with help and support that can turn around.

People that try to help support victims and their families tend to miss the 'waffling' aspect of this.

Its a lingering aspect that is part of the power and control cycle that people claim they understand, and this is one aspect where they show their ignorance by not connecting the dots.

The waffling is a by product of the abusive relationship, and a tool the abuser used to keep them in their 'place'.  Abusive people will use this to their advantage, because confusion can easily be used as a 'power over' aspect.

Think only the Best of Them!

This is another red hot area people completely dismiss within the abusive relationships.  "Thinking the Best of Them' has been used as a coping mechanism for the relationship itself.  Victims use this all the time just to be able to deal with their reality.  They forever are making up excuses for their abusers actions, and only focusing on the positive in order to live in denial with all they have within them.

Thinking the best of someone can be enabling instead of helpful to victims.  This advice is good when you are dealing with a healthy couple, but with an abusive one?  You are asking the victim to use a coping tool they have used for a long time, because mentioning anything BUT the good can be dangerous.

They may have brought up things in the past 'softly', and it was turned around on them.  Abusers show them - because they are incapable processing anything negative about themselves - that they brought things up wrong, its actually the victim issue not them, or if you don't like it get f*ck out!

Helping parties don't realize their 'Think the best of Them' is received the same way.  You have now placed them in the corner, and they are ready for the attack.

In it's true form, Enabling behavior means something positive. It's our natural instinct to reach out and help someone we love when they are down or having problems.

However, when we apply it to certain problems in living - domestic violence, financial trouble, codependency, certain forms of chronic depression -- enabling behaviors have the reverse effect of what is intended.

Victims tend to 'look for the good aspects' so they don't have to deal with the ones that are dangerous.

Victims don't need to 'think the best of them', because they could hand you volumes of information on that subject.

They need help with dealing with the not so nice parts.  

They can give you all kinds of excuses for the behavior as well, because it has been drilled into them.  The Abuser's bad childhood, their drug, drink, or p#rn habits.  They have an awful boss, and their family doesn't cooperate.  Abusers basically drill into victims they are the 'true victims'.  They can't help themselves.  The victims role is to make their world safe and comfortable - anything less?  They failed at their job once again.

To think the BEST of them is another advantage people hand over to the abuser with the power and control cycle.

The abusers will tell them they don't think enough of the GOOD stuff, and their behavior is the end product of that.  They basically hint that even others know victims are pushing their buttons, and why can't they grasp their abusive behavior is a reaction to such.
If you would THINK the best of me like everyone says?  You would forgive and forget!  Since you can never do that you are actually 'abusing' me!  Don't you ever think of anyone but yourself?  Everyone knows how selfish you are!
People assume because they can identify the difference EVERYONE can!  They don't apply the 'abusive dynamic mindset', and use normal healthy thinking instead.

When parties that wish to help they must place the normal family dynamics to the side.  There is always an ugly twist to those that abusers use to their advantage, and you will miss your opportunity if you can't separate the two.

Waffling and "Thinking the best of them" are tools of survival within the abusive relationship.  People not able to identify the unhealthy use of these aspects?  They will not help anyone, but will allow the abuser to have the upper hand once again.


If you enjoyed this post and wish to be informed whenever a new post is published, then make sure you subscribe to my regular Email Updates. Subscribe Now!



Thanks For Making This Possible! Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

Technorati Digg This Stumble Facebook Twitter Delicious

9 comments:

Amy on 11:09 AM said...

"Waffling and "Thinking the best of them" are tools of survival within the abusive relationship. People not able to identify the unhealthy use of these aspects? They will not help anyone, but will allow the abuser to have the upper hand once again."

This is so true. Great post.

I did and still do so much waffling. And we have been separated for almost two years now after 20 years of an abusive marriage.

How many times I would go back and forth on being angry at him for what he did, then feel sad for him, then try to defend him.
but that is what the Christian community did. They told me that I wasn't seeing the good in him and only focusing on the negative. Pretty hard to see the good, when you are being told how ugly, stupid and incompetent you are, but try I did.
After all, it was all my fault for not being more submissive and respectful to him, through all of the abusive behavior.

The final abuse in my life came when my husband left two years ago and some people at my old church told me to just get over it, talk it out with him and reconcile. I was told that as long as I was never hit, it wasn't so bad or wasn't abuse. So, for a long, long time after he left I carried guilt around so heavy on my shoulders, and that's exactly what my almost ex wanted. I was condemned once again, but by others. I was to blame for the problems in my marriage. I was the one that needed to fix it.

Well, no more. He can fix himself and I want nothing to do with him again.
I have moved on, have a wonderful caring man in my life and will no longer allow someone to blame me for anothers behavior.

Hannah on 8:10 AM said...

Yes, we have all carried around that 'guilt' they asked us to own that wasn't ours. They concentrate so much on our actions as a tool to use towards reconciliation - you were not perfect either type of thinking - they bypass the principal completely. Its a wonder they don't realize WHY that doesn't work?!

You sound so strong Amy. That's awesome! We all struggle here and there. That's life. I pray that one day they do stop blaming others for the behavior of one. That principal is so clear in the bible, and yet they only use it with selective circumstances.

Anonymous said...

Great post. This is exactly what went through my mind when I spoke on the phone with a friend who has been abused for over 20 years. She just kept going on and on without coming to any constructive decision (waffle) and kept referring to only thinking the best, focusing on the good, forgiving even "when you are stabbed daily" (her words!). That could have been me months ago, but I just couldn't stand hearing that so I challenged some of her thinking without telling her what to do. As stuck as she is, it only takes a correctional shift in thinking for everything to change and I know she will surprise many people when she gets it. They all think it is her mind that is the problem because she suffers depression. Talk about blaming the victim!

shadowspring on 8:33 AM said...

Wow. I have this "blame the victim" scenario fresh on my mind. My husband has been a kind, fun-loving, caring person since finally getting treatment for his depression. I had actually forgotten what it felt like to be abused emotionally, verbally. Healing is such a natural process ONCE THE ABUSE STOPS. The problem in abusive marriages is that the abuse never stops, so the whole "forgive and forget" doesn't work, it just enables.

Anyway, he is in the process of having his meds tweaked and out of nowhere the old nasty husband returned. Suddenly, no matter what I said, it was taken as critical, challenging, unflattering and yes, HE even used the word "abusive" to describe my pointing out his need to stop treating me like crap!

I thank God (literally) for the therapy I have been under-going, for the respite that depression meds/DV therapy/trauma therapy for my husband has afforded me, and for the self-education about the dynamics of DV I have learned in the last two years. It changed everything.

Instead of horrid hours-long conflicts, there have been time-outs. At first, one time out was sufficient to get his head back together, as we liked to say in the 70s. Last night took two time-outs in a row (not good) but he also took one of the pills he had just removed form his regimen. This morning he woke up a kind and reasonable person.

I am so grateful for the cyber-support of sites like this one, that help me keep from accomodating him anymore. That was probably the number one reason things got as bad as they did- I subjugated myself and made excuses for him. I would get so frustrated and angry and then feel guilty for being the more emotionally demonstrative in the midst of the abuse. My husband's abuse comes in the form of Passive-Agressive hatred, which can and does break out into violence if left untreated long enough. And all I learned from the church was to leave it untreated, make excuses for it, be super-supportive of him regardless of how he treated me, blame myself for lack of self-control for crying, raising my voice and getting upset. Well NO MORE.

I'm fortunate my husband my husband is in treatment and that treatment is working for him. I know that many men will never admit that anything might be wrong on their part, so they will never get treatment. If my husband was that way, we would definitely be separated and on the way to divorce right now.

I think that's why he is IN treatment: because he knows I will not live with abuse anymore. I no longer accommodate him, even though yes his life was rough and there are always triggers behind a return to abuse. Don't care anymore. Not living that way anymore. Not my problem.

The church? I've been around the church too long to expect help from anyone there. I KNOW they would blame me- my husband is pedigreed! He is an MK/PK; he gets promoted to leadership levels solely on the basis of his fundie credentials. It is so wrong, but there it is.

Anyway, I've gone on too long. I just wanted to thank you for the post, and tell other women out there that no it is not their fault! Being kinder, more forgiving, more accommodating only results in more abuse. Drawing a line, kicking out the abuser or leaving the abuser even, refusing to make excuses or pretend it's not a problem, that just makes things worse. Do what you need to do to stay safe and know you are loved by God, if not the church.

Peace and good will,SS

Hannah on 9:21 AM said...

'''And all I learned from the church was to leave it untreated, make excuses for it, be super-supportive of him regardless of how he treated me, blame myself for lack of self-control for crying, raising my voice and getting upset. Well NO MORE.'''

That is pretty much in a nutshell the advice you receive. It's amazing how they don't see this as enabling. Sigh - guess they can't find 'enabling' in the bible or something.

Thank you for your comment SpringShadow

Hannah on 9:26 AM said...

Anonymous:

'''They all think it is her mind that is the problem because she suffers depression. Talk about blaming the victim!'''

I agree. They divert in so many directions, and never deal with the root. Then wonder why they aren't effective.

You have to wonder if they will ever connect the dots, but instead blame the 'worldly standards' for marriage.

They blame everyone, but never take the log out of their own eye. JUST tell everyone else they need to do it.

Anonymous said...

I found this in a marriage site. It is addressing abuse in marriage, and while there was a lot of good quotes from various sources, I thought the following was misleading:

While the optimum situation is for both parties in an abusive situation to seek help, Dr. Tim Clinton, President of the American Association of Christian Counselors, insists one person can change the relationship. “Change a person; change a relationship,” he says. On the other hand, if the abuse is severe and occurring within the marriage relationship, it’s time to take bold steps and assert biblical, healthy boundaries. (Mary J. Yerkes, from the article “Healing the Wounds of Emotional Abuse” posted on family.org)

Maybe it is quoted out of context, but as an abused woman seeking help, I would read that as "I can change the relationship by myself - all this is my fault because I didn't lay down Biblical boundaries."

Hannah on 6:54 AM said...

I can understand why you would take it that way Anonymous 7.

Can one person 'change' the relationship? Yes. Does that guarantee that the relationship will change for the better? No. Normally, when the victim starts to see the light of reality? The abuser resents this and pumps up the abusive behavior. They don't acknowledge this in what you have written, and is more common than they want to admit. Strike One.

This author doesn't seem to 'get' abuse is something that reoccurs. Its a pattern of behavior. Its a mindset that the person lives with and in. Strike Two.

Bold steps, and healthy boundaries at times is something that victims do put down - and have put down - the problem is how to handle things when the abuser stomps all over them. This is more common than counselors want to admit. Strike Three.

One person 'changing' within the abusive relationship isn't going to make the relationship more healthy. They seem to hint at this. If this counselor can't even grasp the mindset and dynamic of the abusive relationship without all the political correct banter? They are going to be to scared to backup the victim when 'strong biblical boundaries' backfire, and the abuser gets worse. This is where the church says, 'Be nicer, and think the best of them!" The counselor that wants to be seen as 'biblical' at that point isn't going to stick their neck out, and disagree. WELL most of the time!

Whether they want to admit it or not there is a political nitch here. The counselors KNOW that if they do anything that goes against what the church feels is 'biblical'? They know the stubborn nature of the church - we are always right - and will lose their status if they go against it. This article is a perfect example of how they walk that line.

That is why I don't have an issue with secular help. They aren't risking their professional life when help the victim be 'firm', and help them with tools to live with that. The church resents secular help, because of the power they have over the biblical counselors isn't there. They feel they are not in control when things don't go the 'biblical' way they see fit.

Hannah Thomas on 6:55 AM said...

I can understand why you would take it that way Anonymous 7.

Can one person 'change' the relationship? Yes. Does that guarantee that the relationship will change for the better? No. Normally, when the victim starts to see the light of reality? The abuser resents this and pumps up the abusive behavior. They don't acknowledge this in what you have written, and is more common than they want to admit. Strike One.

This author doesn't seem to 'get' abuse is something that reoccurs. Its a pattern of behavior. Its a mindset that the person lives with and in. Strike Two.

Bold steps, and healthy boundaries at times is something that victims do put down - and have put down - the problem is how to handle things when the abuser stomps all over them. This is more common than counselors want to admit. Strike Three.

One person 'changing' within the abusive relationship isn't going to make the relationship more healthy. They seem to hint at this. If this counselor can't even grasp the mindset and dynamic of the abusive relationship without all the political correct banter? They are going to be to scared to backup the victim when 'strong biblical boundaries' backfire, and the abuser gets worse. This is where the church says, 'Be nicer, and think the best of them!" The counselor that wants to be seen as 'biblical' at that point isn't going to stick their neck out, and disagree. WELL most of the time!

Whether they want to admit it or not there is a political nitch here. The counselors KNOW that if they do anything that goes against what the church feels is 'biblical'? They know the stubborn nature of the church - we are always right - and will lose their status if they go against it. This article is a perfect example of how they walk that line.

That is why I don't have an issue with secular help. They aren't risking their professional life when help the victim be 'firm', and help them with tools to live with that. The church resents secular help, because of the power they have over the biblical counselors isn't there. They feel they are not in control when things don't go the 'biblical' way they see fit.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Awards

Blog Of The Day Awards Winner

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Privacy Policy

| Emotional Abuse and Your Faith © 2009. All Rights Reserved | Template by My Blogger Tricks .com |